Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Misunderstood Word

SOUND

To the common mind the word sound is defined as an auditory effect created by a given cause; a noise in other words. Depending on what is causing the noise the sound could be heard only to the nearest person, or it could be heard around the world. For example, a whisper is a noise that only I or whomever may be next to me may here. On the other hand, the shots at Lexington & Concord that began the American Revolutionary War are said to be the shots heard around the world. By stating that it doesn't mean that people across the globe literally heard the shots, but it symbolized how significant the battle was because it was the beginning of a war that would go down in history. In the modern day the sound of the objects hovering over New York City before the explosions into the World Trade Center are those same shots that occured at Lexington & Concord. A simple explosion that could probably only be heard within city limits was heard with the same effects on people across the globe as if they were on the streets of New York City during the event. HOWEVER, what if I said to sound is much more than sound? Would one believe me or look at me crazy?
Sound stands for strength, confidence, defining. Sound is confidence within yourself.
,"A sound mind in a sound body" When I hear the word sound I think of more than just noise. For example, this image to my right seems like a girl is screaming, but the viewer hears nothing. Yet we all can hear the scream in our mind; therefore, we take it as the girl is screaming. What if she was yawning in an odd way or simply stretching her mouth? Now I see it as screaming, but I find it interesting that I can see this silent scream & find it louder than a girl screaming right next to me. Why is that? It's all in our mind and by the facial expressions I could say this image shows pain or fright even. With that I can feel the pain she feels by the simple image of her screaming. No sound telling me she is afraid, but a gesture. Whomever took this image could've taken it meaning to cause nothing but a girl screaming. However, they were able to capture the exact moment that the pain seems to be the loudest giving the viewer the image to imagine the pain. It's a sound image without sound.
The image to my left is more than a statement it's an indication of victory. It says we did it. Our nation remains on top. The image shows no sign of sound, but whenever one looks they can get chills of imagining the opportunity to be there seeing these men raise that flag during war. The picture shows struggle to success and that we in fact are stronger together than individually. No sound needed to show the excitement, but the image defines our confidence that we will succeed over and over again as we stick together. Sound means more than hearing a penny drop to understand it is quiet. Everything has a sound even the silent things.

1 comment:

  1. "everything has sound. Even the silent things." So true!

    ReplyDelete